Season on Hold
November 14, 2020
With our new "RED ZONE" status, all curling games are postponed until further notice. Thank you for your understanding!
October 30, 2020
What I'm sure is the first of many: I've adjusted the schedule leading into the season. Please review to ensure your team hasn't been affected.
2020-21 Pre Season Announcements
October 19, 2020
We've figured out a way to play this game we all love but please brace yourself for the length of this message. It is VERY IMPORTANT that you read though it completely as this season is literally unlike any other that we've had. It will discuss club related rules and procedures as well as league specific information.
CLUB INFORMATION & CURLING GUIDELINES
While I will discuss certain points of this document throughout this email, please take the time to completely review and familiarize yourself with the DV Curling - Standard Operating Procedures (as of Sept 2020)
. It contains all the information and explanation on how pre and post game activities work as well as the adjusted rules on how Curling is to be played this season.
All members need to review and complete all of the following forms before starting the season:
All members will be assigned lockers this season. You will be contacted with your locker information between October 27th and the start of the season.
Before each game / outing to the club please ask yourself: If you have travelled outside of Canada in the past 14 days, had close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 (without appropriate PPE), or are feeling any of the following symptoms:
- New or Worsening Cough
- Shortness of Breath
- Difficulty Breathing
- Sore Throat
- Decrease/Loss of Taste or Smell
- Unexplained Fatigue or Muscle Aches
- Nausea / Vomiting, Diarrhea, Abdominal Pain
- Pink Eye
- Runny Nose without specific known cause
If Yes, then PLEASE STAY HOME.
OPEN LEAGUE RULES & GENERAL INFORMATION
While the website is VERY popular (to the tune of 25000-35000 page views per season), we will only be using it as a communication and historical reference tool this season. Unfortunately, with the dramatic changes to the league format, it is impossible to maintain the data integrity of the stats that everyone has come to enjoy.
This year we will be taking it old school with online shared spreadsheets - they will contain team lists, schedules, and standings for all our flights/leagues. I will send these out next week as well as leave permanent links to them on the league website.
GAME RESULT SUBMISSIONS
Please submit all results electronically (Winner and Final Score), either by email or text message using the convenor contact information above. Typically scores are submitted by the winning team.
IMPORTANT - 2020-21 COVID RULE CHANGES
I really want to emphasize that this season is strictly about getting on the ice and playing the game we all love. Please make all efforts to embrace the spirit of the game and to not abuse any of the rules put in place in order to win a meaningless game that will have no impact on any of our fun Open League Lifetime Statistics.
- Masks are Required at all times (sole exception is when you are SEATED at the table enjoying a post game drink)
- Dry-Erase markers will be used to mark the score on the scoreboards. Please assign one player per sheet to handle all the scoring.
- No rescheduling games for any reason (player illness, personal scheduling conflict, etc)
- Should this result in your team forfeiting, please make all efforts to inform the Convenor and other team ASAP
- No pre-post game handshakes
- No Coin Flips - Please use Rock/Paper/Scissors in the lounge prior to going on the ice
- Rock colours and numbers (eg. Lead throwing rocks 1 and 2) must be declared prior to the start of the game
- Rocks may not be changed once the game has started (Ice Maker Rob has informed me there are no bad rocks, just bad players)
- One Sweeper Only
- Any methodology is allowed whether it be sweeping alternating shots, having one sweeper sweep everything, or sweep all in-turns or out-turns
- Alternating sweepers during a shot is CURRENTLY PERMITTED. HOWEVER sweepers must be 6 feet apart at all times. Any reports of this rule being abused and I swear to god I'll turn this car (rule) around right now and go straight home (ban it forever).
- No sweeping behind the T-Line by any player of any team
- 1hr 55min HARD time limit for all games
- When the buzzer goes, the game is over
- Please use some level of discretion here - if the final shot of an end is being thrown, just let it finish.
- If it is clear that you will not be able to play a full end prior to starting, please end the game at that point.
- Sparing is allowed, however you may only select a spare from your 50-person flight/league
- You CANNOT participate regularly in one flight/league and spare in another
- You CANNOT spare in multiple flights/leagues, you must declare which flight/league you will be a spare
OPEN LEAGUE SEASON INFORMATION
If there is a positive this season, this is it. We basically play uninterrupted (Christmas break aside) all season!
Pre-Christmas Season - November 4-5 to December 16-17
No Curling - December 23-24 and December 30-31
Post-Christmas Season - January 6-7 to April 28-30
I'll figure out what we're going to do in regards to any sort of playoff series once we get firmed up numbers and a better sense of how things are playing out.
GAME TIMING & SCHEDULING
We have adjusted our scheduled game times for this season in order to give our ice maintenance team more time to sanitize the playing area. Games will be played on a rotational basis on the following days/times:
Wednesday @ 630PM
Thursday @ 630PM
Thursday @ 900PM
Please do not arrive more than 30 minutes prior to game time in order to limit crossover between multiple flights/leagues.
IMPORTANT - LEAGUE FORMAT
This is the big one. Due to the size of the Open League, we've had to break into 3 smaller leagues based roughly on previous flight results. Each flight will playing a looping round robin for the duration of the season, with no move-ups or downs between series. I will investigate some playoff options towards the end of the season but right now don't have anything definitive to provide you.
Currently we are sitting at 28 Teams that will be split into 3 flights / leagues. I fully expect that this number will fluctuate up and down as the season progresses so we will be adding/removing teams throughout the season to a maximum of 11 teams per flight / league. As indicated earlier in the email, I will be sending out shared online spreadsheets prior to season start with your schedule and flight listings and will link to them permanently from the league website.
Additionally, we will not be collecting the typical $25 Prize Pool donation this season, so make sure to put it to good use at the bar (convener also accepts
OPEN LEAGUE SPONSORS
Finally, a big thank you to McNally Construction for being the title sponsor and their longstanding support of this league. A new thank you to itscurling.com
for providing webhosting to the league. We’re always looking for additional sponsors (I have a lot of ideas) so if you or your company is interested, let’s talk!